5 easy ways to help protect the environment
With the global warming showing clearly its effect on the world’s climate and life, and with all those animal and plant species becoming extinct virtually every day, it is clear that we all need to take steps and help stop this process of killing off our planet. There are some very simple changes we all can make in our lives which can help our environment, or at least decrease the damage to it.
- Try to walk whenever you can instead of driving. If you can walk to work, to your kids’ school or to your coffee shop, then walk instead of driving. You can also ride a bicycle to work or to run your errands instead of the car. This will not only help reduce the CO2 pollution. Plus, it is healthier and will allow you to get in better shape and stay that way. You will save gas money too. So, start walking or riding a bicycle today!
- Of course, sometimes driving is necessary, so make sure that when you do need to get to somewhere by car you explore the options of carpooling and sharing cars with others. Also, pick the shortest route to your destination and don’t drive in low gear because it causes more fuel consumption and harmful emissions. If you can – getting an electric vehicle is also a great way to help nature.
- Reuse and recycle things and materials. Buy recyclable papers and products. Try to repair and reuse things instead of throwing them away and buying new ones. Return any old bottles, newspapers, magazines or scrap metals to the junkyard. You can make some money and help the environment at the same time.
- Stop using products and tools which release CFCs. They are one of the main contributors to the greenhouse effect and are contained in certain cosmetics, aerosol sprays, fridges, air conditioners and others. CFCs are banned in a lot of countries already, so it is time you stop using them too.
- Change your office habits. Limit printing to only when it is absolutely necessary. Also, reuse the paper by printing on the back side. You should always switch computers, printers and other office equipment when you finish work. Switch computers to sleep mode after 20 minutes of inactivity. Also, use ceramic mugs and glasses and dishes instead of plastic disposable ones. You should also make sure that heating or cooling is set at optimal levels and temperatures during the work day. More companies are choosing to go green these days, so why not become one of them too!
This may not seem like a lot, but it can really make a difference. Nature depends on us. Changing our habits just a bit can even prevent the extinction of rare birds.